200 New Hampshire businesses awarded with Research and Development Tax Credits

NH State House.

CONCORD, NH – The New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration has awarded 200 New Hampshire businesses with Research and Development Tax Credits for the 2017 program year last week, which should help grown the state’s small business economy, according to Gov. Chris Sununu, who issued the following statement:

“I am pleased to announce that the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration will distribute $7 million to 200 New Hampshire businesses this year, fulfilling 92.4% of the total requested dollar amount for each company. I want to thank the republican leadership in the legislature for supporting the needs of our small business economy in New Hampshire and for Senator Jeb Bradley’s work to increase R&D Tax Credit from $2 million to $7 million in 2017, growing this program from only $1 million and 71 applicants when it began in 2008. Businesses receiving these tax credits have shown a commitment to our state, leading the way in high-tech manufacturing research and development. Programs like the R&D tax credit are an important tool for bolstering New Hampshire’s small business economy, particularly in the high-tech industry. When combined with reductions in business taxes and removing overly burdensome regulations on small businesses, programs like the R&D Tax Credit serve to promote the business-friendly environment that encourages business growth and job creation, sending a message to out-of-state companies that New Hampshire is open for business.”

What is the R&D Tax Credit?

During the 2007 session, the New Hampshire Legislature enacted a research and development credit against business taxes paid to the State of New Hampshire, see TIR 2007-007pdf file. Under the 2007 Laws of New Hampshire, Chapter 271, the Legislature had designated $1,000,000 for each of the next five fiscal years to be available to fund the credit. During the 2013 session, Senate Bill 1 (Chapter 5, Laws of 2013) was passed increasing the award to $2,000,000, effective May 20, 2013, see TIR 2013-001pdf file. Senate Bill 1 also repealed the prospective repeal date of the credit. During the 2015 session, House Bill 2 (Chapter 276, Section 241, Laws of 2015) was passed increasing the award to $7,000,000, effective July 1, 2017, see TIR 2015-005.

Who can apply for the R&D Credit?

Business organizations that have expenditures made during the fiscal year for qualified manufacturing research and development. “Qualified manufacturing research and development” expenditures are wages paid to employees of the business organization for services rendered in New Hampshire which qualify and are reported as a credit by the business organization under section 41 of the Internal Revenue Code. More specifically, “qualified manufacturing research and development” expenditures are the wage amounts attributable to New Hampshire that make up lines 5 or 24, of the business organization’s Federal Form 6765.

How can the business organization take the credit?

The credit may be taken against taxes due on account of taxable periods ending on and after September 7, 2007. The credit is first applied against the Business Profits Tax. Any remainder may be applied against the Business Enterprise Tax. Unused portions of the credit may be carried forward for up to five years.

When can I apply for the credit?

Applications shall be postmarked no later than June 30 following the taxable period during which the research and development expenditure was made or incurred. The Department will send acknowledgment letters to all applicants by July 31. Applicants will be notified, by mail, of award amounts granted to them by September 30.

Are there limitations on how much credit is awarded to a business organization?

The amount of the credit shall be the lesser of 10% of the business organization’s qualified manufacturing research and development expenditures or $50,000. In the event that the aggregate amount of credit applied for, in any given fiscal year, exceeds $2,000,000, all credits for that year shall be reduced proportionately.

Can a unitary or combined business filer take the credit?

Unitary businesses and enterprises consisting of more than one taxpayer shall be considered a single taxpayer for purposes of claiming the credit.

Where can I get the forms to apply for the credit?

The Research and Development Tax Credit Application, Form DP-165pdf file, is available on the Department’s website on the Forms page and by calling the Department’s Forms Line at (603) 230-5001.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


12 − 9 =