The UK’s tourism sector suffered after the terrorist attacks in London and Manchester with demand waning after each incident, new data has shown.
The British Hospitality Association said the growth in long-haul bookings had cooled while there had been a “material weakening” in inbound passenger numbers from Europe compared to strong growth at the start of the year.
The trade body said prior to the Westminster attack on March 22 in which five people were killed, forward bookings for long-haul international arrivals in London for July and August were 16.5pc year-on-year.
“However, each attack had an incremental impact on bookings and in the immediate aftermath of the London Bridge attack [in June which saw seven people killed and 48 injured], bookings declined,” the BHA said.
It added the latest data showed cumulative bookings were now up just under 10pc for July and August although it called this figure “healthy”.