An ISIL brigade in Syria are training Europeans to attack their home countries.
The unit trained the men responsible for the Paris and Brussels terrorist attacks and are training up a group of would-be suicide bombers.
The group, known as the al-Kharsa brigade, are subjected to a gruelling training programme at a secret camp in Syria before being sent home to carry out attacks. The brigade also encourage and remotely instruct would-be suicide attackers who are unable to travel to the caliphate.
Once their training is complete, members of al-Kharsa are taken into Turkey at the Bab al-Hawa crossing. From there, they receive fake passports and disperse across Europe.
Speaking to the UK newspaper The Sunday Times, a captured ISIL fighter said, “It takes seven months to be trained in al-Kharsa brigade.
“It is very hard. Every European who crosses the border to Syria, they are offered [the opportunity] to join. If 20 start the training, only five finish it. Then after that they go back to Europe and attack.”
Killer of Syrian journalist given two life sentences
France has seen 271 jihadi militants return, minister says
Syrian army takes last ISIL-held town in Homs, monitor says
Hizbollah chief says ready to battle ISIL on Lebanon-Syria border
The prisoner, who lived for 2½ years in the caliphate, believes around 50 Isis members went through the programme. They came from countries including Germany, France, Belgium and Britain.
At least 21 Isis-trained operatives are thought to have sneaked back into Europe as of last year, according to a report from The New York Times.
The group learn how to construct bombs, endure harsh physical tests and are immersed in ISIL ideology.
They recently unsuccessfully targeted Britain and remain functional, according to the fighter.
Anti-terrorism officials from America and Europe have previously confirmed the existence of an Isis external operations unit that is thought to have organised the Paris and Brussels attacks.
The captive confirmed that the route funnelling fighters to Europe was still in operation in February this year, despite the caliphate having suffered heavy territorial losses under assault from Iraqi troops and the American-backed Syrian Democratic Forces.