SEATTLE, WASH. – On Monday, July 24 at 3:30 p.m. PT in The NINETY, Delta Air Lines and Sounders FC are scheduled to announce the members of the team’s first fan starting XI – winners of the recent “Join the XI” program.
At the press conference, the winners will sign one-day contracts with Sounders FC and receive custom team jerseys as they are welcomed to the club by Head Coach Brian Schmetzer, goalkeeper Stefan Frei and midfielder Cristian Roldan. As members of the team, these select fans are to join Sounders FC as it travels to Los Angeles on Friday, July 28 – flying with the players and technical staff, staying in the team hotel and then attending Seattle’s match against the Galaxy on Saturday, July 29.
All season, Sounders FC supporters were able to nominate themselves for one of the “Join the XI” positions atwww.SoundersFC.com/JoinTheXI. Winners were selected by a panel of Sounders FC front office personnel, program ambassadors (Frei, Jordan Morris, Roldan and Schmetzer) and Delta, the team’s Official Airline. The starting XI is comprised of eleven fans who embody these key positions:
- The Dynamic Duo – These two are inseparable. Friends, family, a couple or coworkers, united by their love of Sounders FC.
- The Stat Wiz – Someone who knows the game and the team by the numbers.
- The Athlete – Someone who plays the game as much as they watch it.
- The Luckiest – The person who sticks to their superstitions to help the team win.
- The Lifetimer – Someone who’s been a Sounders FC fan for what feels like forever.
- The First Timer – The person who’s new to the Sounders FC world and loves it.
- The Family Fan – Someone who makes their family part of their passion.
- The Host – When it comes time for kick off, this person knows how to plan a party or draw a crowd.
- The Roadie – Where Sounders FC goes, they follow – no matter the distance.
- The Full-Time Fan – The person who represents the hardest at work or in the office.
Each Join the XI member receive roundtrip air travel, hotel accommodations in the team hotel and game tickets for themselves and a guest. The fan starting XI also have a game-day strategy brunch with Sounders FC General Manager & President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey, then head to the stadium for a facility tour, pregame sideline access, and a team photo on the pitch.
On Sunday, July 30, Sounders FC and “Join the XI” members return to Seattle together, capping the unique fan experience.
Members of the media wishing to attend the Join the XI press conference should RSVP with Alex Caulfield [AlexC@SoundersFC.com] or Kelly Schutz [KellyS@SoundersFC.com].
WHAT: Press conference to announce winners of Delta and Sounders FC’s “Join the XI” program
WHO: Head Coach Brian Schmetzer
Goalkeeper Stefan Frei
Midfielder Cristian Roldan
Members of the fan starting XI
WHEN: Monday, July 24, 3:30 p.m. PT
WHERE: The NINETY (406 Occidental Avenue, Seattle, WA 98122)
HOW: RSVP by sending an email to Alex Caulfield [AlexC@SoundersFC.com] or Kelly Schutz [KellyS@SoundersFC.com]