Episode 137 of The Felske Files is brought to you by Anthony Arot and The Nash Wealth Management Group! Check them out here!
The trade deadline is this Monday and, so far, only one of the Phils’ veteran pieces has moved on to a contender, Pat Neshek, dealt to the Rockies for three A-ball players.
Other veterans who could have moved are hurt and probably won’t be dealt until next month. But one player who is healthy and has seemingly been on the trade block since he put on Phillies pinstripes is starting pitcher Jeremy Hellickson.
Hellickson has not been as effective in 2017 as he was last year, with a 4.73 ERA and a FIP of 5.50 in 20 starts this year. His strikeouts per nine innings has dropped from 7.33 to 5.21 this season and opponents are hitting .255 against him.
And yet, there are teams who need starting pitching help, even if it is just for the sake of depth. Francisco Liriano, who has been perhaps even more terrible than Hellickson this year (5.99 ERA, 4.91 FIP) is being talked about as a potential target for the Kansas City Royals (although many believe teams are looking at him as a bullpen piece), and there are other clubs who are looking to shore up their rotations, albeit many of them looking for high-end pieces like Sonny Gray and Yu Darvish.
The Phils missed their chance to deal Hellickson at the trade deadline last year, when the market featured fewer starters available and he was having a better season. But will he get moved within the next few days? If not, he will certainly clear waivers, and an August deal would be possible, too.
But the simple question remains, would a contender in need of starting pitcher see Hellickson as an upgrade, even if the Phils agreed to pay all of his salary?
Joining John Stolnis on the podcast this week is CSN Philly’s Corey Seidman, who broke down Hellickson’s future as well as what else the Phillies might do over the next few days before the July 31 trade deadline.
Also discussed on the podcast this week…
- Just what did the Phillies get in return for Pat Neshek?
- There’s a reason the Phils focused on guys who are farther away from the Majors in this deal
- People who are upset with Matt Klentak for this trade need to take a chill pill
- Will the Phils be able to find someone who wants Tommy Joseph?
- It’s looking unlikely Joseph is traded, so do they still call up Rhys Hoskins?
- If so, what happens with first base?
- Odubel Herrera found himself “benched” in the series finale against Houston after yet another instance of lack of focus and hustle
- There are two extreme camps on Odubel Herrera, and the smart and productive place to be is in the middle
- The Herrera conversation is the least fun conversation of the 2017 Phillies
- The Phils got a first-hand look at their model for how to rebuild a club, the Houston Astros… what do the Phillies have to do to replicate what Houston is doing?
- Nick Williams is a stud
- Aaron Nola is an ace
- J.P. Crawford is tearing it up in AAA
- STAT OF THE WEEK
- PLEASE VISIT THE FELSKE FILES TEEPUBLIC.COM STORE! Click right here for phenomenal T-shirts and other apparel, and through FRIDAY use the promo code FELSKEFILES30 to take 30% off all T-shirts (not already on sale) at the store!