ATLANTA — Three people were arrested and two officers were injured after a protest turned violent Monday night at Georgia Tech.

The protests broke out just minutes after an on-campus vigil for Scout Schultz ended. Schultz was shot and killed by a campus police officer Saturday night. 

RELATED: GBI: Georgia Tech student shot by police called 911, left suicide notes

Authorities advised students to avoid Hemphill Avenue and to stay indoors until told otherwise. Alerts through the department’s social media platforms also told students in the area to lock all doors and windows.

Video from the scene showed large crowds and smoke. It also appears to show police making arrests. More video being sent in to 11Alive appears to show a car being set on fire.

In response to the protests, Schultz’s family issued a statement urging for peace.

On behalf of the family of Scout Schultz, we ask that those who wish to protest Scout’s death do so peacefully.  Answering violence with violence is not the answer.  Our goal is to work diligently to make positive change at Georgia Tech in an effort to ensure a safer campus for all students. 

This is how we will truly honor Scout’s life and legacy. 

Scout’s family respects the rights of those who wish to voice opposition to what they feel was an unnecessary use of force, but they ask that it be done respectfully and safely.

Police later confirmed that a group of approximately 50 protestors marched to the Georgia Tech Police Department and set one vehicle on fire. At some point in the incident, two officers also suffered minor injuries – with one taken to Grady Memorial Hospital for treatment.

A spokesperson for Georgia Tech reported that Atlanta and Georgia Tech police were able to restore order fairly quickly. Georgia Tech’s officers also made three arrests for inciting a riot and battery of an officer.  Police have since identified the three as Vincent Castillenti, Jacob Wilson, and Cassandra Monden. School authorities confirmed that Monden is a student.

University police gave the all-clear Monday night. 

Earlier Monday, the GBI said that it had been determined that Schultz made the 911 call to Georgia Tech police alerting them of a suspicious person on campus. In the call, according to the GBI, Schultz described the person as a “White male, with long blonde hair, white t-shirt and blue jeans who is possibly intoxicated, holding a knife and possibly armed with a gun on his hip.”

© 2017 WXIA-TV